Friday, April 3, 2009

Sick girl

The past couple of days have been spent at the doctors office and in line waiting for prescriptions to be filled. Maddie is a sick little girl right now. It started on Wednesday, she woke up with goopy eyes that were crusted shut. Since that was her only symptom we decided to take her to an eye doctor. He diagnosed her with a bacterial eye infection and gave her some ointment to apply to her eyes three times a day. That night she had a fever so we gave her Tylenol and put her to bed. She was acting a little strange all night but never once complained or cried. She was just sitting in her room on her bed talking and playing in the middle of the night. She never does that. Thursday morning she still had a fever but no other symptoms, and her eyes were a lot better. Oh, she we very mellow too, that probably should have been a huge red flag but I didn't see it. I even made plans to take her to the park (weather permitting). By the afternoon I was starting to have more symptoms. She had thrown up once and was wheezing a little bit. But again, she wasn't complaining and didn't have a cough or runny nose or anything. By late afternoon we were debating on if we should take her back to the doctor or not. I don't know how many times we have had this debate already with our 8 month old an not even 2 year old. I foresee this conversation happening many many many more times before the girls are out of the house. In La Pine it was a bigger deal because the doctor was 45 minutes away, and we were always trying to decide if it was just best to keep them home rather than take them out for a few hours to visit the doctor. Finally we made up our minds and I took her in. It was 6pm though, so we headed to the walk in clinic. When we got there they told us the wait was going to be 1 hour and 45 minutes. And they were true to there word. If there was any doubt in my mind that Maddie was sick, it was quickly put to rest by the fact that Maddie sat with my the entire time we were at the doctors office. We didn't have one issue. The doctor said she has two ear infections and bronchitis in addition to her eye infections. My poor baby girl. She got much much worse as the night went on and it was really scary for a while. Until about 1:30am she couldn't sleep for more than a few minutes at a time. She was moaning and trying to breathe and it reminded me of when Diana's baby sister is sick on Anne of Green Gables. It sounded just like that.

I don't know how many times Josh and I have prayed over the past few days. Maddie asked to pray a few times "for her owies". It is precious to see her wanting to pray already, though her understanding may be limited. Throughout the past couple of days, I have found myself being so thankful for who she is already and for the 22 months I have got to spend with her and know her. What an amazing gift it is to be a parent and to have the capacity to love so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment