Monday, December 14, 2009

I'm a helper, I'm a helper







Maddie is in a helping phase (and I hope it never ends). She LOVES to help cook. If I step in the kitchen she asks to help. It has doubled the length of many of my meal preparations, but it is worth it to have my daughter by my side wanting to help and be near me. She has always been amazing about picking up her toys and books and putting them EXACTLY where they go, but recently she has begun helping with other things too. She is now the official silverware unloader. She puts each knife, spoon and fork in its correct spot each time she unloads the dishwasher. She also loves to put the clothes from the washer into the dryer. It is so neat to see her wanting to help, whenever she does help she starts singing one of her songs, "I'm a helper, I'm a helper". So cute. Sometimes I am tempted not to let her help so that I can be more efficient, I have to remind myself to take a step back and savor the moments I have to let her help and to train her, after all my most important job is "mommy", not "laundry folder" or "speedy dishwasher unloader".

1 comment:

  1. I love this. Karalee is TOTALLY doing the same thing right now. Tonight she stopped playing with play-doh so she could pull her chair to the sink and help me "wash" the dishes. Yesterday she insisted on folding the laundry...I agree, it is tempting to say no in the spirit of efficient-ness, but what a great reminder friend! My job is "mommy" not "laundry folder." =)

    ReplyDelete