Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Teachable Moments for Me

Only conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ; so that whether I come and see you or remain absent; I will hear that you are standing firm in one spirit with one mind striving together for the faith of the gopsel.
- Philippians 1:27

Josh came home from school yesterday and shared with me this verse he had read that morning. I praise God for a faithful husband that wants to seek to know and serve our Lord better.

The first 12 words are so powerful and have had me thinking about them since last night.

My first though after reading then entire verse was a regarding my chidlren, 'I want my children to conduct themselves in a manner worthy of the gospel as they grow older, that is one of my deepest desires. Few things would bring me more joy than to see my children walk with the Lord all the days of their life.' Which then led me naturally to the thought, 'Wow, how much more does my Heavenly Father, capable of perfect love, the creator of love want me to conduct myself in a manner worthy of the gospel?!' Which obviously led to, 'Do I conduct myself in a manner worthy of the gospel at all times?' Obvouisly the answer to that is no, but this verse has encouraged me to ask myself that question more often.

When I called Comcast and found out that they were going to charge me $25 to rehook up my cable, just because I wanted to move the tv to the other side of the living room; was my conduct (my words and attitude) worthy of the gospel?

When we got three doctors bills in the mail in a span of two days; was my conduct (heart attitude) wothy of the gospel?

When my daughter woke up in the middle of the night for the 5th night in a row because her bottom was itchy (long story), was my conduct worthy of the gospel?

When I am at work or out shopping; do I take that oppportunity to ensure that my conduct is worthy of the gospel?

I am so thankful for the Word of God and for teachable moments, and I am especially thankful that this one came through my husband, what a blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment