Saturday, September 11, 2010

Consequences Consequences

(First of all, Grandparents, do not worry I have not turned this blog into a pictureless blog, I just haven't taken any pictures lately.  I will get some up soon though!)





As Madison gets older, her consequences are getting more painful...for me.  I am sure they are more painful for her as well, but I did not expect them to be so hard on me.  All day today Madison looked forward to baking cupcakes with me for her Sunday School class.  We had dinner over at our friends house and had planned to bake the cupcakes once we got home.  When we arrived home Madison asked if she could have a cupcake from the batch I had already made and I said no.  She asked more than once and I told her no each time.  The answer was clearly "no", and she knew that.  Well, upon entering the kitchen Josh found three cupcakes, each with a suspicious looking bite in them.  Madison owned up to taking bites of the cupcakes. The consequence for direct disobedience in this situation was that Madison did not get to help make cupcakes that night, instead she had to go to bed.  The disappointment in her cry and the desperation in her plea to let her help was extremely painful to endure.  I so wanted to give in and find some loop hole that allowed her to stay and help.  But it would have cemented in Madison's mind that disobedience doesn't require consequences and that if she pleads and cries enough we will back down.  Those are not the values that we want to instill in her.  A love for obedience, honestly, and integrity are things we want our girls to grow up with, but they do not come easy.

As I was lying in with her in bed praying before she went to sleep I talked about forgiveness and obedience and wisdom for mom and dad in raising her and when I was finished, with a smile on her face, Madison added "and thank you that I could not make cupcakes tonight."  I am not sure that Madison was thankful for her consequence, but somehow she managed to pray for it with a smile on her face.  

Proverbs 22:6
Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment