Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Lessons in Life

Yesterday Josh had the afternoon off and we headed up to Portland so I could run a quick errand and then we had told the girls we would spend the rest of the afternoon at the Children's Museum.  We haven't been there all summer so Madison was thrilled.  I was pretty excited too, thinking we would have the place to ourselves as we pulled up to the museum and I saw not a car in the parking lot; until we saw the sign that said that the museum would be closed all weekend for "sprucing".  Madison was so disappointed and I immediately went in to "how can I fix this" mode.  My initial thought was that she didn't deserve to be disappointed like this because she hadn't done anything wrong.  I wanted to alleviate any pain she was feeling.  We eventually settled on a self-serve yogurt shop as an alternative to our botched plans, and her tears dried. 

Later as I was thinking back on the situation I realized that yesterday afternoon was a perfect little  lesson in life.   Life isn't perfect, it isn't always fair, and it doesn't always go as planned.  Instead of crumbling when our plans change (as Maddie did, and I often do too) we need to redirect and be okay with it.  I also came to realize how hard it is going to be to watch the girls be disappointed as they get older.  It is going to be so hard to watch their disappointment when they don't get the grade they though they deserved, or make the sports team they went out for  (though with their genes, I don't foresee that happening  ; ).  I am not always going to be able to save them from pain and disappointment and I won't always be able to come up with an equal alternative...frozen yogurt will not always be enough to curb their pain.  Thankfully I will always be able to direct the girls something  faithful, unchangeable, that they can always depend on.  They will always have a peace in knowing that His plans for them are perfect.  I too will have that peace as they grow older and their pains grow beyond museums, that His plans for them are perfect.  

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."    

Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment