Sunday, May 22, 2011

Ellie's Birth Story

I had a doctors’ appointment on Thursday May 12.  The doctor checked me and I was dilated to 3 cm and cervix was thinning.  He stripped my membranes’ which started labor within 24 hours with both of the girls.  I didn’t think it would work with this pregnancy because it was still 12 days before my due date of May 25th. 

During the night I woke up to a few uncomfortable but very irregular contractions.  All throughout Friday I had irregular, painful contractions.  By the afternoon I was exhausted from managing the pain, but contractions were still not regular and I was convinced it was false labor.  Around 2 pm the contractions got a bit regular coming every 8-10 minutes.  They were painful; I had to stop what I was doing, breathe through them and ask the girls to stop talking to me.  I had to go pick up Josh from work at 3 pm and drop him off to pick up the car we had in the shop. 

By the time I got home at 4 pm I was miserable.  I still thought I was not really in labor but I was really discouraged by the amount of pain I was in and how exhausted I was.  Josh suggested I call the doctor.  I did, and she suggested I come in. 

Josh dropped me off at the hospital around 4:30 and took the girls to the park to wait and see what the verdict was.  We didn’t want to line up childcare for them until we knew it was really labor.  When the nurse checked me I was 5 cm and she said I could stay!  I called Josh and he took the girls to a friends’ house.  I called my mom and she started driving down from Washington immediately.  When my doctor told me he was going to break my water I asked for an epidural immediately because when they broke my water with Madison the pain got unbearable but I had to wait 2 hours for an epidural because the anesthesiologist was busy.  But when he checked me and told me I was 7 cm and I considered "toughing it out" but decided to go ahead with the epidural. 

I got the epidural around 5:45pm.  Josh got to the hospital just as they were finishing the epidural.  Sometime after getting my epidural I passed out.  Once I woke up they gave me medicine to bring my blood pressure up because it was too low.  The baby’s heart rate was also dropping so I had to lie on my side. 

Around 7:30 I felt like it was time to push.  The nurses got my doctor, I pushed once and Ellie Kate was born at 7:43 pm.  She weighed 8 lbs 2 oz and was 19 inches long.   She was beautiful.  Josh went and picked up the girls and they were able to meet their sister within an hour of her being born. 
I feel unbelievable blessed to have three healthy, beautiful girls.  It is more than I could ever have hoped for.  Our family feels complete. 

No comments:

Post a Comment