Sunday, April 29, 2012

A New Month

The day after tomorrow marks a new month.  I love it because when I rip off the old month from my calendar (yep, I'm old fashioned, I still use a wall calendar) the new month is nearly blank!  I won't stay that way for long, but at least for a little while I feel like my life is as slow and uncluttered as I desire it to be.

You would think that with homeschooling our schedule would be calm and clear.  We've cut down on the hours in the car and at school that the majority of families have to contend with.  But somehow as our kids get older, the days and the evenings fill up.

Our evenings together as a family are so precious.  Our kids want to be home right now.  Their favorite activities are for Josh and I to sit and play games with them or take them on ice cream dates.  They want us to talk to them before they fall asleep.  More than anything, I want them to still feel this way when they are teenagers. But I know that in order for that to happen we need to slow down now.  We need to make time for these moments now, when the girls want them, if we expect them to want them later. 

With such a huge Truth so clearly before me, you would think it would be easy to make it happen.  But for some reason, even the social engagements of a 4 year old and a 3 year old are battling for my children's time and affection.  It is so hard to say no to "good" activities.  I want them to do ballet, Awana, swimming lessons, soccer, Upward basketball and children's choir.  I want them to see Josh and I active and involved in ministry at the church and in Bible Studies.  All of these things are great things.  What do you say no to?  How much is too much?  And why is it way too easy to fill our schedule up, and so hard to keep it clear, when I know how important it is to slow down and cherish these early years?     

No comments:

Post a Comment